Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reflection 1 on Colloseum

When we went to the Colloseum the first thing that impacted me was the size and beauty of it. I think it gave off a really humbling feeling by seeing how people back in that day could build something like that. I also think by hearing how old it really is made me respect that it's still around a lot more.

The part of the tour that impacted me the most was comparing it to our White House. It felt kind of scary to imagine our country falling one day the way that Rome did. The people back then had no idea what would come of their city or that thousands of years later people would be touring through it. I think the tour guide comparing the Colloseum to something in our own country made it a lot easier to realize how important it is also.

I'm also really glad that the Colloseum was the first tour we went on because I feel like it definetly sparked an interest I didn't think I had. I never really enjoyed history classes or anything like that. I think being able to be there and see it in real life made it a lot more interesting. In the Italians it talked about how tourist come and some come to look at the sites. I didn't think coming here I would be one of those people necessarily just because I didn't know a lot of background on the stuff were seeing but after the Colloseum I think I'm definetly more of that type of tourist than I thought.

It was also I think more interesting because i felt like it had a distinct purpose. It wasn't just a painting or something to look at but there were stories behind it. The tour guide talked about how it was used to fighting and how all these "important" people would go to it and watch. She also pointed out the cross were the emperor would sit. I thought it was really cool seeing the similarities we have with the people back then because we still have a lot of fighting for entertainment going on now.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Could you imagine people someday taking guided tours through a collapsed White House? Definitely a humbling thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about that too.. One day when no one is living in the white house what it would be like and where the new location would be for the presidents

    ReplyDelete